Sajjangad

Sajjangad

Sajjangad is ten kilometers west of Satara city. This fort is built in Maratha architectural style. It was built in the 10th century. It is 312 meters high and spreads over an area of 1525 square meters.

 It is generally believed that the Parli fort was built along with the Satara fort by the Shilahars in the 10th -11th centuries. The fort of Parli is mentioned during the historic period of the fourth Bahamani king Muhammad Shah (1358-1375). The fort passed from the Bahamani kings to the Adilshahi of Bijapur. He renamed the fort Navarasatara. In 1673, the fort of Parli along with the fort of Satara was conquered by Shivaji Maharaj. Maharaj then requested Samarth to stay at a fort.

Hanuman, the God of power, was worshiped outside the gate as the guardian of the gate. But Samarth Ramdas Swami brought him inside the gate and started worshiping him on a large scale. With the help of Mavale,  Shivaji Maharaj was established Hindavi Swarajya. After Maharaj became Chhatrapati, he requested Samarth to stay at a convenient fort. So he chose to stay at Parli fort. Later the fort of Parli was renamed as Sajjangad. As Parli is a foothill village, this fort is also known as Parli Fort or Parligad.

Due to the presence of Samarth Ramdas Swami, this fort has gained cultural significance. Ramdas took Samadhi (Tombstone) in 1682.



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post